Offense flattens as men’s football loses third game in a row – The Daily Free Press

Boston University men’s football lost 3-0 to Loyola University Maryland on Saturday, making it three straight losses for the team, all with no goals scored.

“We deserved to lose,” BU head coach Kevin Nylen said after the game.

Boston University men’s soccer players in a game against Loyola University of Maryland on Saturday at Parsons Field. The Terriers lost 3-0, scoring the team’s third straight loss. JEFF TEDI / DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Terriers (1-7-1, 1-3 Patriot League) failed to do anything offensively, while the Greyhounds (4-3-2, 2-1 PL) took advantage of several Terriers’ defensive errors to score three goals and register 13 shots in total against six for BU.

The game opened without much on either side until Loyola placed the ball into BU territory at around 17 minutes. After several passes from the Greyhounds, a cross pass from graduate student midfielder Justin Ingram gave senior forward Kelan Swales an easy 1-0 Loyola goal.

A few minutes later, the Terriers responded with their own luck. After a deep pass to the left side, first-year midfielder Brian Hernandez landed a shot just inches from the goal post. BU didn’t come much further after that as Loyola continued to dominate possession time with his physique around the ball.

“They’re tougher than us,” Nylen said. “They are going to make a mistake, they are going to make a mistake. We complain about mistakes, they are stronger, they are harder. They have a winning mentality.

The physical play was highlighted by two yellow cards against Loyola, which seemed to inspire the Greyhounds while diminishing the Terriers’ ability to play healthy, fundamental football. BU couldn’t put anything in place offensively until the last minute of the first half, when a header from graduate student midfielder Peter Kargbo passed right by.

“The biggest and brightest point was Peter Kargbo,” Nylen said. “[He] came off the bench and had as good a performance as anyone on our team. It was the brightest moment today.

The Greyhounds continued their physical activity in the second half, committing five faults in the first fifteen minutes. After the Terriers’ costly foul in their third field, Loyola set up his offense, leading to the second goal of the game. This time it was first-year defenseman Jake Mayer from 15 yards, hitting him off the post and in.

Frustration then started to boil for the Terriers, as after the goal they committed three fouls, including a yellow card against senior left-back Gianluca Arlotti. Arlotti also recorded the Terriers’ first and only shot on goal soon after in the 83rd minute, although a nice save from student goalkeeper Chase Vosvick kept BU scoreless.

Four minutes later, the Terriers returned the ball just in front of their own net, allowing Loyola to score the third and final goal of the game. Ingram de Loyola, who recorded an assist on the first goal, was the beneficiary of it as BU junior goalkeeper Francesco Montali had no chance to make the save.

“This is what happens when you don’t take responsibility individually,” Nylen said. “There’s not much else to it.

The Terriers will now turn their attention to Harvard University (3-3-2), which they face on Tuesday, October 5 at Jordan Field.

Source link

About Douglas Torres

Check Also

Netflix’s ‘Squid Game’ Invigorates Dalgona Candy

One of Maddy Park’s earliest memories of street food was when vendors set up a …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *