Former Australian skipper Mark Taylor believes the 2018 ball tampering scandal will never “ go away ” and that his recent resurfacing will affect Steve Smith’s chances of regaining the position of Test captain.
Smith, who was sacked as skipper and suspended for a year for his role in the plot, recently expressed his desire to lead Australia again. His push to captain was also supported by current test skipper Tim Paine.
However, the episode resurfaced recently when Cameron Bancroft, who was banned for nine months for his role, said the question of whether Australian bowlers were aware of the plan to use sandpaper on the ball during the Cape Town’s test against South Africa was “ self-explanatory. ” ” That doesn’t help. No doubt about it, it doesn’t help his case, because he likes it I’m sure most of the people involved in the game would like it to go away; that won’t go away, ” Taylor told Sports Sunday.
“ There is no doubt that there is a growing momentum around Steve Smith as a potential captain, no doubt about that. Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Starc and spinner Nathan Lyon, all of whom were on the squad during the ill-fated streak. , recently issued a joint statement calling for an end to “rumors and innuendo” about this episode.
Taylor, too, threw his weight behind the Australian bowling quartet.
“The obvious bleeding to me is that they didn’t know he had been tampered with. You just have to read what they said during the week, ” Taylor said.
“If I could just read it:” We didn’t know that a foreign substance had been brought into the field to change the condition of the balloon. ” And as they said, the two referees of the match did not change the ball.
So there was an attempt to change the state of the ball, but they couldn’t do it. The referee said: “This ball is still good, let’s go.” So they didn’t know. Former Australian skipper Michael Clarke criticized Cricket Australia (CA) for not probing the problem and “sweeping it under the rug”.
Taylor, however, defended the investigation given the circumstances.
“The question of whether Cricket Australia did enough three years ago, the answer is yes,” said Taylor.
“ I think we had a four day window between the end of the Cape test and the start of the fourth test which was in Johannesburg, to send someone in, do an investigation, make a report and then make decisions to this subject. . It was obviously to send the three players home and take care of them afterwards.
“Yes, in an absolute ideal situation, of course not; it would have been great to have six months to do all of this. But we had a four day window and I think during that time we got it right. Taylor also said releasing the investigation report would not help matters.
“ It will be part of the folk history of cricket, part of the history that you don’t want cricket to be known for, it will be there forever. ” PTI ATK AH AH
(This story was not edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)